Requirements and Guidelines
The AAPG Foundation’s United States Military Veterans Scholarship Program (MVSP) is designed to promote the advancement of student veterans in educational geoscience programs at the undergraduate level.
Applicant Eligibility: Who can apply for an AAPG Foundation MVSP Scholarship?
Active U.S. Military service members (including National Guard and Reserve) or veteran members separated from active military service who have been honorably discharged and are entering or reentering a post-secondary undergraduate or program in a field of geoscience full-time or part-time at a four-year accredited college or university. Preference may be given to students who express an interest in a geoscience focused on energy related subjects.
MVSP applicants must:
- Provide documentation of military service by one of the following:
Provide official or unofficial transcripts showing a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale
Provide proof of enrollment or acceptance for enrollment to an eligible post-secondary geoscience undergraduate degree program at an accredited four-year college or university.
Describe financial need acknowledging that if awarded, MVSP funds will be used for educational needs or “cost of attendance” for the pursuit of the geoscience undergraduate degree.
- Post-911 GI Bill award letter DD Form 214, Honorable discharge letter, or letter from the commanding officer certifying current National Guard or Reserve status
- Note: If at time of application time you are unable to provide a DD214 due to active duty status, please provide Commander's Letter of Recommendation stating your current military status and that you are in good standing as well as any awards or special recognition you have received during your military career.
Write a career goal statement (250-500 words) including a description of geoscience career goals and how a MVSP scholarship will help applicant achieve those goals.
Include 1-4 letter(s) of recommendation from military supervisor, former teacher, mentor, professor or academic advisor.
- (i.e. Funds may be used for tuition, books, fees and living expenses including mortgage or rent, property taxes, interest, insurance, maintenance, repairs, gas, electric, water, heating oil, garbage collection, residential telephone service, cell phone service internet service, food, computer hardware and school related software.
Scholarship amounts range from $2,000 to $4,000 per student per year based on merit, financial need, and number of applications.
- The scholarships levels are: $2,000 (part-time students) and $4,000 (full-time students).
- A maximum of $4,000 may be awarded per student per year.
- A student may receive a MVSP scholarship twice in total.
- Amounts and numbers of awards may vary based on fund earnings and spending rate.
When/how can applicants apply?
The application process will open 15 February and close 15 May annually and will provide scholarships for the following academic year. The application will be available online beginning 15 February.
When will winners be announced?
The Foundation MVSP Committee will select recipients by 1 June and announcement of awards will be made no later than 15 June.
How may MVSP scholarship funds be used?
Scholarship funds must be used for costs associated with attendance including tuition, fees, books and eligible living expenses. Eligible living expenses include i.e. mortgage or rent, property taxes, interest, insurance, maintenance, repairs, gas, electric, water, heating oil, garbage collection, residential telephone service, cell phone service internet service, food, computer hardware and school related software.
Requirements following award:
- Intended use receipt verifying students will use funds for tuition, books, fees.
- Thank you letters for forwarding to Donor(s).
- Testimonial and picture of applicant in the field (optional but encouraged).
Final applicants will be chosen by the AAPG Foundation MVSP Committee based on six aspects: strength of 1) academic record, 2) civic involvement, 3) work and leadership experience, 4) geoscience suitability, 5) career statement and 6) recommendation letter.
When will winners be announced?
The Foundation MVSP Committee will select recipients by 15 May annually. Announcement and distribution of awards will be made no later than 1 June annually.
Questions? Comments? Contact an AAPG Foundation Programs Coordinator at (918) 560-9426, Toll Free at 1 (855) 302-2743, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.