Required Materials to have when you apply
- Teacher's philosophy
- Unit description
- Letter of recommendation from colleague
- Letter of recommendation from administrator
- Three years full-time teaching experience and currently teaches at a U.S. K-12 school
- One unit per year on natural resources
- Unit fits definition of natural resources
- Teacher's philosophy should include any of the following:
- scientific study of resources
- historic use and present use
- preservation of the environment
- use of earth science knowledge in informed decision making
- Unit will be evaluated on:
- petroleum and industry concepts
- creativity of presentation
- balanced treatment of information regarding societal need and environmental issues
- clarity and accuracy of expression
- overall excellence in teaching
- Brief summary of how the school will use the award.
- Teachers who include subjects relevant to energy resource development will receive special consideration.
- In concert with the 1996 National Science Education Standards, a teacher’s use of the inquiry approach in teaching will be given extra consideration.
- The Teacher of the Year Committee is currently led by Laura Zahm.
- The application should consist of material taught during the academic year ending the previous Spring or Summer semester.